I opened up a cherry log. It really useful to make a couple of wooden wedges before starting the split. The wedges help split the log, and won't damage the axe if they come into contact.
I split the log into ten sections, ready to be turned into ten cooking spoons.
By the end of the morning I had ten spoons roughed out.
I used my adze to help speed up hollowing he bowls out.
The twca cam also quickly removes wood from the bowl, and I find it easier to get a smooth finish.
I've got five pretty much finished, with a few minor refinements still needed. I am really surprised with the variation in colour between the spoons, especially as they're all from the same log.